How To Convert Google Analytics to GA4
To convert your existing Google Analytics account to GA4, follow these steps:
- Create a new GA4 property: a. Log in to your Google Analytics account and click on “Admin” in the bottom left-hand corner. b. Under the “Account” column, select the account you want to convert to GA4. c. Click on the “Create Property” button and select “GA4” from the dropdown menu. d. Follow the prompts to complete the setup process.
- Link your existing GA account to the new GA4 property: a. In the Admin section, click on the “Data Streams” tab. b. Click on the “Web” option and enter the required information. c. Click on “Create stream” and follow the instructions to get the GA4 tracking code. d. Link your existing GA account to the new GA4 property by selecting the option “Connect existing property” during the data stream setup.
- Import your existing GA data to GA4: a. In the GA4 property, click on the “Admin” tab in the left-hand menu. b. Click on “Data Import” and select “Google Analytics.” c. Follow the prompts to import your existing GA data to GA4.
- Set up events and parameters: a. Click on the “Events” tab in the left-hand menu. b. Click on “Create Event” and follow the prompts to set up your events and parameters. c. Once you have created your events and parameters, make sure to add them to your website’s code.
- Set up conversion tracking: a. Click on the “Conversions” tab in the left-hand menu. b. Click on “Create Conversion Event” and follow the prompts to set up your conversion tracking. c. Once you have created your conversion event, make sure to add it to your website’s code.
- Verify your setup: a. Once you have set up your GA4 property and added the tracking code to your website, you can verify that it is working correctly by checking the real-time reports in GA4. b. To check the real-time reports, click on “Realtime” in the left-hand menu and select “Overview.” c. Test your events and conversion tracking to make sure they are working correctly.
That’s it! You have now converted your existing Google Analytics account to GA4 and can start tracking your website’s performance in the new platform. Note that it may take some time for your GA4 data to accumulate and become actionable.